For a while now I have been letting Blue practice "stirring" and "taking a bite" after we have finished up a bowl of oatmeal or a cup of yogurt. He has clearly understood the concept and had the fine motor skills down for good month or more but he is such an unmotivated eater that I still hand fed him anything that required a spoon. I just want the boy to eat! But he was really interested in the spoon yesterday before I even sat him down in his seat so I decided to give it a shot and see how he did.
All in all I was pretty pleased. My greatest fear was not that he would make a huge mess but that he wouldn't end up actually getting anything down. But I think he ate about 80% of the cup. I love how he puts the spoon in his mouth upside down, like he is licking a popsicle (after reviewing the video, I realized that this development must have happened a little further along in our meal, sorry folks).
(Not only is Blue an unmotivated eater, but he is also a picky one. The excessive "mmmm-ing" is our seemingly futile attempt to communicate some sort of excitement and deliciousness around food. He thinks the sound effects are fun but I can't see that they help.)
No comments:
Post a Comment