We are moving to Tokyo for a year! That's right... How many of you though it was going to be Baby No. 3? Nope.
The picture above seems to me something like Graham's worst nightmare. Or maybe this is...
But then you also have stuff like this:
It will definitely be an interesting year.
Graham's company (Indeed) got bought last year by a big Japanese company (Recruit). And Recruit wants an office in Tokyo to help train some of their engineers to be more like Indeed engineers. So Graham and another Indeed guy are going over to get it started.
And the kids and I will be tagging along. Although if our past abroad experience (India, summer '06) is any indication we will all have a much better time than Graham!
Blue will be going to an international preschool three mornings a week which will be a great way for us all to meet other young families. There will be lots of fun cultural differences to learn about. Like Uwabaki (indoor shoes):
We will be in temporary housing for a bit while we find an apartment and while I am preparing myself for very small spaces I still think I will be in for a shock. I have learned little to no Japanese. All I can say is sumimasen (a form of apology) and takenegi nuki (no onion). I asked the Japanese contingent how to say the latter. Gotta be prepared! Really though, I should crack down on that.
We leave in late August and have most everything taken care of. And by that I mean, we have a plan in place. We still have to actually clear out all the closets and do a million other tasks before everything is literally taken care of. Will definitely keep the blog updated along the way. There should be lots of great stories to tell by the time it is all over!





No comments:
Post a Comment