Name: Rogue Edward Davis
Gender: Male
Date of birth: 2.19.2016
Time: 9:31pm
Weight: 10lbs 15oz
Length: 22.5"
Yep, you read that weight right. He was basically 11lbs. And long too.

My due date was 2.10.2016 and they knew he was going to be big. I only gained 25 lbs during the pregnancy but my belly was very large! So the doctors were watching me closely for signs that they needed to induce me. Due to my prior c-section they are not allowed to use Pitocin (the common drug used to get labor going) which only left them with breaking my water. My experience with Blue did not equate that scenario with success so I was happier to wait. But during my last monitoring session before the weekend hit they got a little nervous and wanted to go ahead and get the baby out. So off to the hospital we rushed. They broke my water around 2pm and then we just waited. My contractions started picking up around 5ish and I was fully dilated by 7ish and waiting for the urge to push. And just like with Blue it never came. I pushed for an hour or so but wasn't making any progress. The last thing I wanted was to spend all night in labor only to end up with a c-section in the early morning hours. And my contractions were making me a bit frantic which was very unusual for me. Usually I'm able to breathe and focus and am very calm, but not this time. I think it could have been that my body was just done. Standing through the contractions has always been my preference but I'd had a busy, uncomfortable pregnancy and my hip was going numb laboring on my feet. So I called it and the doctor thought the c-section was a good idea. She said I could also try an epidural but I'd seen my body at work at this before and felt like I knew where it was headed.
And then, all of a sudden, there was a rush on c-section rooms - a mom whose baby had surprised everyone by being breech and an emergency early labor situation. My original team got shuttled off to the emergency case and we got the second room. At 9:31pm Graham announced it was a boy and the doctor said, "he's a kindergardener!" and then everyone tried to guess his weight and he surpassed all guesses coming in at almost 11lbs! I was shaking so badly from the spinal that I wasn't able to hold him until an hour or so later in recovery. He had his brothers' barrel chest and relatively skinny legs.
Rogue came into the world with a very strong sucking instinct and quickly found his fingers if he wasn't nursing. And he was definitely the most alert of the bunch. He sort of skipped the sleepy newborn phase and would only really sleep in someone's arms. The hospital did their best to disturb us as often as possible but this time we knew the drill and were out of there on day two.
The rest of the crew was happy he was finally here. Blue said he knew it would be a boy and Wiley was in love but kept forgetting his name the first couple days. Brother likes babies and was happy to have one around as long as it didn't interfere with his lap time quota. And for the most part it hasn't. Love my babies!
No comments:
Post a Comment